Eugen Doga is a Romanian-Moldavian composer and is considered one of the greatest Romanian composers alive. He has composed music for more than 200 films, theatre shows and ballets.
The composer has won several awards in the past and his music has been chosen for the opening of the 1980’s Olympic Games held in Moscow and also in the 2014 Winter Olympic Games in Sochi.
Moreover, Eugen’s Waltz , which featured in the movie ” A hunting accident” was recognized by Ronald Reagan as ” the Waltz of the 20th century” and his songs are part of the History Rundown’ best 200 music songs of all times. The top 200 Classical Music Pieces included two of his songs, the ” Gramofon” and “My sweet and Tender Beast”.
A documentary film about his life has also recently won the big prize at the International Festival of Independent Film “HERCULES.ro”, Romania.
Prizes and awards won by Eugen Doga
- Member of the Union of Composers of Moldova (1961) and the USSR (1974).
- Member of the Union of Cinematographers of the USSR (1975).
- Honored Artist of the Moldavian SSR (1974).
- Laureate of the State Prize of the Moldavian SSR (1980).
- People’s Artist of Moldova (1984).
- Laureate of the USSR State Prize for the music for the “Luceafarul” ballet and music for motion pictures (1984).
- People’s Artist of the USSR (1987).
- Officer of the Order of the Republic of Moldova (1997).
- Recipient of the “Ovation” prize (2001), “Ovation” (2007).
- Recipient of the gold medal “Person-2000” (USA).
- Recipient of the jubilee medal and a diploma in honor of the 150th birth anniversary of Mihai Eminescu “For prominent contribution to the propaganda of the poet’s creative work” (2000).
- He was awarded the Gold Star of Romania – Commander’s grade (2004).
- Beanie Master International festival of arts “Master Class” (2004)
- He was awarded the Order “For Services to the Fatherland»,IV grade (January 10, 2008) – for prominent contribution to the development of music and many years of creative work.
- He was awarded the Order of the Republic of Moldova (2007).
- Recipient of the “Danaker” Order, the Republic of Kyrgyzstan. (2007)
- Award “Commonwealth” (2007)
- Award “Beacons Of The Motherland” (2007)
- The order of the Ruby cross “Sacred power” (2007)
- 2007, when the composer celebrated his 70th anniversary, was announced in Moldova the Year of Eugen Doga.
- He is an honorary citizen of Chisinau.
- A music school was named after him “Eugen Doga”.
- The World Intellectual Property Organization (Geneva) in recognition of his outstanding achievements in music awarded him with a special certificate.
- Laureate of the State Prize of the Republic of Moldova – 2008.
- Laureate of the contest of the National Fund “For the good of the Fatherland”, 2008.
- Eugen Doga was awarded the national order of Romania “Serviciul Credincios”. 2014.
- The minor planet 10504 Doga (1987 UF5), discovered by Lyudmila Zhuravlyova was named after Eugen Doga.
- The “Golden Knight” prize for the music for “Ash Waltz” motion picture (2011)