Great news from the European Commission as Rimetea village, from Alba county has been awarded. The village was given the award due to the fact that they have managed to preserve many traditional houses since 1999.
Many locals and NGOs have contributed to restoring and preserving 138 traditional houses. One year after that the National Office of Historical Monuments has designated the village as a protected urban and architectural area.
The village is in Alba county, quite close to Cluj county. It is located near the Trascau mountains and Piatra Secuiului, which is 1129 meters high.
The village was first mentioned in the year of 1257 and it has become well known due to iron deposits. The village was also an important location in which gold coins were made. Later on, in the 18th century, the village was colonized by Austrian miners. In 8 centuries the village has developed and has become a rich little town. Currently, there are around 200 traditional houses with workshops and stables which were built between the 17th and 19th century. The village also has an Unitarian church which was built between the 17th and 18th century. The village has the oldest functional water mill in the Apuseni mountains. This is still used by the locals.
Photos by- Uncover Romania