Who is he?
- Ioan Cantacuzino was a well known physician and a bacteriologist.
- He also taught at Carol Davila University of Medicine and Pharmacy in Bucharest.
What is he famous for?
- Cantacuzino is best known for being the founder of the field of microbiology and experimental medicine in Romania and for founding the Ioan Cantacuzino Institute.
- He has also done extensively research in the field of bacteriology, immunology, epidemiology and social hygiene.
- His research has contributed to finding treatments for several diseases such as tuberculosis, typhus and cholera.
- He successfully invented a method for cholera vaccination called the Cantacuzino method that is still used today.
- In 1913 he managed to save the lives of thousands of Romanians by organising a cholera vaccination campaign.
- Studied Philosophy in Paris (1882-1886)
- Studied medicine in Paris (1886- 1891)
- Founder of the “ Institute of Serums and Vaccines (1921)